Sunday, January 1, 2012

Popcorn Balls

Sorry for the extremely long gap in between these posts. My life is kinda busy with school and all, but I've been able to make a few new recipes. One of them includes the oh-so-delicious popcorn balls!
I have made about 5 batches so far, the first one a complete disaster. The first recipe I tried called for sugar, water, and corn syrup to mix in with the popcorn. It didn't work that well, because the sugar hardened before it got evenly mixed, so they were extremely hard to bite.
We tried a different recipe the next time. and it was so good I made it 3 more times! Instead of using sugar and corn syrup, this recipe called for a cup of marshmallows! I LOVE marshmallows! So my mom and I made the first batch, formed the popcorn into balls, and let them cool. I packaged them up for my friends at school for my Christmas present to them. Then we made more just to eat.
I think that this was my best cooking experiment yet! As you can see, your hands need to be well-buttered so the gooey mixture doesn't stick. I hope you can try out the recipe and be engulfed in marshmallow-y goodness!

  • 3/4 cup light corn syrup
  • 1/4 cup margarine
  • 2 teaspoons cold water
  • 2 5/8 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1 cup marshmallows
  • 5 quarts plain popped popcorn

Directions

  1. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the corn syrup, margarine, cold water, confectioners' sugar and marshmallows. Heat and stir until the mixture comes to a boil. Carefully combine the hot mixture with the popcorn, coating each kernel.
  2. Grease hands with vegetable shortening and quickly shape the coated popcorn into balls before it cools. Wrap with cellophane or plastic wrap and store at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment